Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Not Too Hot, Not Too Cold, Just Right. About Contentment and Balance

Good morning!

I was reflecting on the cold...the perceived absence of heat....but it was still warmer than somewhere else...and I used to have NO problem in tolerating the cold...tolerating the absence of....

Where else are there those contrasts? I've experienced the abundance of heat...in the desert...wishing for a cold breeze to kiss me...celebrating when I saw and felt the frost on the cacti in the early morning knowing I just had to choose the right time of day for me to show up and enjoy the most...like Goldilocks! Not too hot, not too cold....just right 😆😆😆

I've experienced the joy of abundance for our family financially....who knew, that what we once longed for to allow for a bit more freedom, that we would achieve. We would give with generosity and no guilt....we would shop, with no guilt, for what it was we needed....and we would know that we could be flexible in moments that were unexpected. And then we learned that the freedom we longed for was the freedom to dream bigger and that we hadn't allowed ourselves to do much and we were content with that....until we turned back on the switch to our bigger dreaming and deeper loving...and then the world looked a lot different, and so did our income....high and lows....just like the weather.

I'm grateful that highs and lows and changes in weather do NOT define the season....the amount of light that we get to experience on a daily basis...that's the season we are in....Winter, allows us to take a rest from such active work....we process our food differently...our energy shifts with a little less light...but as Goldilocks did, she showed up in those "just right" moments. Personally, I get more "me" time in the Winter...or when that "season" calls for me to go within and dig a little deeper into my personal journey and relationships...cuddles are a little longer, enjoying loving a little deeper...focusing more on the company of those around me and truly appreciate the light that others give off. We go on a search for warmth and huddle in.

Then Spring comes...the light in our life increases...the warmth that radiates increases...and the plants and nature start to wake up and get growing. I have produce in my fridge that are growing roots right now! It happens every year with the approach of Spring. You just know by watching nature that there is a bigger energy that goes unseen but signals that its time to get ready , because the work is coming. It’s messy work as a gardener...I have a small vegetable garden and then flowers and shrubs everywhere that give beauty and food and I need to see how to best support their needs before the growing season comes into full affect. It’s the season that starts to make use of the resources accumulated and stored over the winter...it’s a time for putting those plans into action….getting the seed into the ground...and there is more light in the day to get that work done. Spring...it’s filled with hope and action. We couldn’t be hopping around like that all the time. It’s a time to shift that deepening phase into a strengthening phase and get your muscles going.

And then summer comes. Full on adventure, activity, and growth. The most light in our days and lives. And for some, it’s like a “winter” in there lives….Too hot! Time to find shade and somewhere to just chill and hide out. Opportunities to get out and about seem greater and many are in full-on active mode. No stopping... and for them, it goes by way too fast. Personally, Summer tends to be too hot and I feel near hopeless to maintain and keep up with the growth and maintenance of our yard at times. It's a time for many to come together and share in doing the work earlier in the day, enjoy a bit of rest during the day, and coming together again later on to enjoy each other's company. It's a mix of all of the seasons really, and that's probably why it feels so short. A lot of work and a lot of play all wrapped up into one season that has the most daylight available, but for me what feels like a lot less sleep hahaha.

And as Autumn comes in promising the much awaited harvest and rest at the end of a job well done, it often makes me wish that I could have done more of the work of harvesting over the summer, but alas, it wasn't time. Of course, there are greens and berries that are available for harvest and food over the summer, but my veggie garden is planted with foods that come due for harvest in the Autumn. Having to wait and be patient for that right timing when you can get the most out of what you planted in the Spring....it seems so long ago, but it's just that there was much activity in between it all. Life! And living it! Harvest time and collecting of the resources to have ready for over the Winter season. Sometimes we forget that we get to be supported over the Winter by what we harvest in the Autumn of our lives. Recently, I was able to appreciate that I had planted seeds in my life so long ago and how I was able to use those resources recently and being grateful that I was prepared to handle the task that was set before me. We often don't realize the calm within the harvest as it is persistent work. Making sure that you get everything in before the weather starts to shift and quicken your pace and work a bit to keep you motivated to be prepared for a time of rest and recovery. LOL it reminds me of trying to get my children to sleep back in the day when they were younger. They were wound up with so much excitement from the play of the day that they could see that it was time to start settling in...to have dinner....and to have our wind down time before settling into bed. that period of making sure that your needs will be met for the seasons ahead is an important one. Similar to taking trainings for a change in career or getting educated on something that will help to improve your situation into the future. Making the most of your resources and sharing it with others is what Autumn brings for me.

As I was walking with my son the other day, he was sharing with me about how he sees the seasons. I didn't share with him that I was writing about the same thing. He said that he saw Summer and Winter as the transitional seasons and that Spring and Autumn were the main seasons because it's where most of the work is done by nature and by us. I was blown away by his great insight. I have shared for years about Spring and Autumn being the transitional seasons based on the changes in weather and the amount of light. But if I was to look at life and nature in how he described, he is very accurate in his view. I was so grateful he shared it with me...and also sharing that Summer is too hot for him and he like Winter the most.

So no matter for what reason you have a favourite season, know that we all will go through all of them, in our lives many times over as we grow, change and live these journeys of life we have been gifted.

No comments: