Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

How emotional charges can "hijack" our story

 Good morning!

History hijacked!!
Great headline right? You know that the "story" behind it is going to be a "juicy" one 😉
But it's not about history. Although I did write an historical reflection this morning, I am not interested in the drama or the dissonance at the moment... What I AM interested in is the hijacking.
AND.... how stories are used to bring a "charge" into the moments we experience.
Do you recall any moments from your past that you feel were particularly hard or emotional for you?
I will share truthfully, I have a few. But there is one that stands out for me that I want to share about.
I am actually NOT going to share the details of the story, but what I did WITH the details of the moments of this experience and the advice that was given me that shifted how I operate now.
I was both guided and asked to recount the events of the experience as it was being documented. I shared the step-by-step, time-stamped account of what I had experienced and my "adversary" at the moment was there (we had a weird friendship) to validate all that I shared and to keep the account accurate.
The story was accurately accounted for because.... the person who caused the commotion from events that happened HOURS beforehand took ownership of their involvement and validated what I shared as accurate...I stuck to just retelling the details without attaching any charge or emotion (although in the moment, I was freaking out and yelling and I did share about my own reaction)...kind of like retelling a movie (it felt like it)....and that the "work" given to me was to keep the emotional descriptors out of it so they can get the incident down for their files.
So even though what followed that incident for YEARS afterward were filled with drama and denial, there is a written account taken in the moment and as close to the moment as possible of what happened...told from both sides and aligned.
GUARANTEED, that MOST of the stories from our pasts are NOT as well-documented as that moment was for me.
Many of them are charged with emotions and conclusions. MANY of them are one-sided and not "filled in" with all the info and viewpoints. Many of the details filtered out so our brains can make sense of what is happening around us, to try and keep us safe as best as we can in the moment.
I have stories that still influence my experiences (that started before the one I just shared about) and even decision-making now. My perception of situations that are similar can often get "plagued" with the recollection of how I felt of and concluded about that scenario years ago and now, it's all up in my face again. Fresh in the present moment...and if I am not careful, gets looped in with the rest along with the charge.
The good news is... those stories that we feel triggered by and come back up for us again and again are still... just a story. And it's not even the fullness of all that you have been through...it's only a part of your history. AND even bigger still, your history does NOT have to be choked back up and chewed like cud in your present experiences. It can be an experience that you had (good or bad) and that YOU are free to move through, having been a part of it, and then choose.... to tell a better story from it's "fertilizer". There is also taking that emotional charge out of it and re-directing that energy toward developing and LIVING IN your new, and better story....ALWAYS!
We can always choose to live in our better story. Not by erasing and eliminating what we had, but recognizing where we have been and then giving more focus and energy into what we CAN live and experience going forward.
If you feel stuck in your "history" and/or need help or to chat, I am open to hopping on a call if you like. Let's talk ❤

No comments: