Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Leave things better than you found it. Choose how you move through life each day

 Good morning!

I have 2 things that are standing out on my "mind" this morning.
The first one....is grocery shopping traffic. And at this time, it's become an amplified combo of a mass of holiday shopping😄😄. It's hectic, it's packed, and most people are already going in knowing that there will be line ups and possibly a bit of conflict 😉 I'm not a fan of self-serve because I like human interaction, but there were definitely more people with bigger items and more in cart that needed the cashiers more than I did 🙂 . So as I was heading to the self-serve checkouts, I experienced something.
2 men ahead of me, both with carts, and both heading for the narrow space to pass through. And the senior man rushed in and pushed his way through to get there first before the other man could. The other man, was a young gentleman with a developmental disability (for a lack of a better term). Had the senior waited just a moment, he would have seen that there was no need to rush or to push and plenty enough room for him to make his way to where he wanted to get to. His head was down and he was decided on his course of action.
Do you notice....how you move throughout the day? Is your head down and you are pushing your way through? Is that more of how you approach your day or do you take a moment to step back and observe your environment? What do you notice about the spaces you are in and the people in those spaces with you? And do you consider the impact of your interactions with other people?
That last one hovered with me well after witnessing that interaction....what impact do I leave others with?
As I stood in the self-serve line with a huge bag of potatoes, the man in front of me asked me how much they were. I then commented that we have a lot of potlucks to contribute to this month, and potatoes are being brought 😅. He laughed, and that was pretty much it. Walked away to ring his stuff in with a smile on his face...I missed when he looked back with a nod...to "close out" the interaction.
"Leave things better than you found it." My dad often shared this phrase with me as he would clean up on a job site, or tidy up the table and dishes at a restaurant after we ate.
Last night I was discussing with another how the influence from parents and what they teach us sticks with us....and then the question came to mind, "but where did my dad get it?"... he gleaned it! And then taught me how to "glean" lessons and wisdom and build mastery….
So out of all that, I am wanting to share...can we take a moment and consider, the good and completed interactions we have with one another…. Don’t leave questions or conversations without a response, don’t miss the opportunity to smile and laugh with others that you don’t do that with on a regular (branch out and spread the joy), don’t withhold from yourself the chance at sharing kindness...and allow yourself the good company that masterful mindfulness keeps in your thoughts when you move through life in a way that improves all that you touch and interact with.
Okay, off to load the dishes 😉

No comments: