Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The gift of agency. The power of your individual choice

 Good morning!

As I was preparing my morning litre of tea, I got this little message. It reminded me of a discussion and point I was sharing...and I think it lines up well at this time.
The gift of choice. Right now is a great time to recognize and embrace the power of YOUR gift of choice. The gift of recognizing agency, your capacity to make an independent choice, in any given situation is often trained up in people as we would like to think.
And this could go many ways, so let me ground it in with the aspects of being adaptable and observant in your own situations to allow for your freedom to make a choice.
(LOL sipping my tea....) ....so back to the conversation...If we are given choice, then we must also recognize that we are given situations and circumstances from which to choose from.
(Want some tea? I can brew you a cup....you can brew you a cup...let's sit and ponder on this for a sec....) Now the above statement has definitely come from the bulk of my life over the last 20+ years....It has felt like I could have chosen to go down many paths...I had so much opportunity and different story narratives I could have journeyed through...many of you may know about some of the great stuff we got involved in and would have done well at. I honour all those moments of BIG choices for helping me to recognize the small micro-moments of "choice-making" that have also influenced my life in a great way.
Can you reflect on a time in your life when you felt great and everything was flowing, and then things went sideways? As I sit here now, recognizing what I have gained over the years, I can't help but think I had also chosen to "give up" on something I wish I hadn't. I really do have a "wish" moment (not so much of regret, but just a wish...) of having kept up with some of the small, simple, and daily tasks that I was in the habit of doing effortlessly WHILE I gained my "emotional intelligence" and increased compassion for others through some pretty intense trials.
But in my moments of upheaval, I made a choice. And then another choice, which took me in a different direction than the path I was on...and now, looking back, I definitely VALUE those small moments of choice more and the POWER in which they held.
Sometimes all it takes to grow a rose is to make sure, on a daily basis, that it has the right amount of water. We all know thorns are there and then comes the blossom, but choice is the water we apply in each mindful moment. Our gift to be the water that nurtures the blossoms.
How can you use your gift of Agency today in order to water the "blossoms" you would like to see in the future?
I'm going to keep making those small choices that help me to stay aligned and straight on the direction I had ALREADY set for the year, regardless of the circumstances. Because in truth, circumstances and choices will always be the work we get to do, so I am making it good...for today. And when tomorrow comes, I will make those choices that need to be made then. Right now, I am going to continue enjoying my tea 😉

No comments: