Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Mom....what are you eating?"

I am asked this question on a daily basis. I have two active and hungry boys so of course, they will want to eat quite frequently and are always curious as to what I am eating. Why not...most of the time it is something I am willing to share. Lately, I have been off my usual "diet" and eating foods I would not be willing to share with my boys. Is it worth it? NO! But the lovely sugar monster has reared its head and I answered the call. Lack of sleep? Yes! Stress? Yes! Not drinking enough water? Yes! Lack of concern? Yes!

The truth is I have chosen to not care enough to opt for the healthier option. And better yet, since there are foods in the house that are....well, plain-out junk food, I have decided to "treat" myself to the junk food. Well, one treat lead to another and another and I am now on a 12 step program to get myself off the "stuff". As I go through this process (and set an example for my children), I find myself thinking about diets all together.

I left my good nutrition plan for a "decided" quick trott to the candy store and I can see how people get derailed from their plans or even develop unhealthy haits when it come to how they eat or how their family eats. So the equation is......if I won't give it to my kids, then why am I eating it? The other side of the equation is, "If I feed it to my kids, but I won't eat it, what message am I sending to my kids?" Would I buy my kids the "treats" and snacks that are full of stuff I wouldn't want to eat? What it is doing to their little bodies that I don't want it doing to mine? Would I bring "treats" into the house that I think I will only have on occasion and stash it somewhere out of reach of children so I can enjoy it after they go to bed? Why would I need to sneak around with a treat for myself? Why am I hourding food off to myself to not share or share grudgingly with others? It just sounds like a vicious cycle of eating alone and to yourself and differently from the rest of your family whether you are in "treat" mode or in "diet" mode.

My question is, why not just stick to a healthy nutrition plan that when my kids ask me what I am eating, I can (a) tell them what it is, (b) share some of what I am eating with them, knowing it is good for them and good for me, and (c) model good and healthy behaviours and attititudes towards eating, sharing, nutrition and, food.

Now to go and chew on some of these thoughts (and get a big glass of water).



No comments: