Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I have found the missing link! ME!

As I am up early in the morning, before the break of dawn, listening to the birds sing and answeing the questions I have on my mind, I have come to realize something. There has been a breakdown in communication between me and my husband.

Currently, as we are engaged in renovating in a new capacity (bigger job than our condo was), I have been requested to find out information regarding many things. Electrical, plumbing, window size requirements, differences between certain materials used in insulation, flooring, sound barrier, etc. I then relay the information back to my husband. It has taken many attempts at trying to "pass on" the information I gained and came to understand to my husband. Now it's not that he is slow in learning. He is quite the opposite, having taught himself many things from computers to construction, but there was something in the way that I was passing on the information that wasn't working for him. It's not that he wasn't getting it, it was that I wasn't really giving the information to him.

As his wife, friend, partner-in-life, I have been given a special toolbox. And the toolbox was being equipped from our first encounter. He communicates to me in a different way than he does with others. He has provided information about how he thinks, and what things he is interested in and in those interests are the links for me to use to relay information about almost anything to him. Many people may not understand the flow of a conversation between the two of us, but in the end, we can both learn from a simple conversation spoken in our special language. Even better still, I can use those tools (wisely) to help him to better understand me. How can I describe my passions and interests in a way that links it to his own?

We don't have to live seperately or have interests that are not shared with one another. If we can relate and learn about each other in a way that connects what we know and are passionate about to the interests and passion of the other, than we can grow joyfully together in our knowledge and experiences. Now to go and sort through the toolbox.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good blog, I like how you shared about the unique way your husband communicates with you. I like also how you understand him and you look into your tool box. Communication is so vital in relationships, it's good when you can compensate and help each other. Good writing, thanks.