Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, September 8, 2017

It can all start with one word... Genshai, the Golden Rule, Sawubona




Genshai - This word was introduced to me by Kevin Hall years ago whom I met personally at a conference where he spoke and I also received his book "Aspire" (which is on my keeper shelf) .
It's funny, because a year prior I was recommended by both Bob and John to get in touch with him as I had a similar love and particular"ness" for words in the same way.


....The meaning of the word, "that you should never treat others in a way that would make them feel small," I expanded to include myself and almost anything I come into contact with. It really expanded the way that I would receive the world around me. It also expanded the way I would read and write...as well as my personal consideration and relationship with of God. The viewpoint from which I viewed my life "grew".


But I'm not sure that everyone would have read the meaning the same as I did. You see, it's not just about "not" making others feel small...it's about questioning yourself on how you choose to see. Well, if it isn't "small" or "insignificant" than what is it? If I can't "belittle" it or take away the person's name and only refer to them as a number or a file, then what am I supposed to do? And also, if we can't think small does that mean we have to think big? Well, why not for the possibility of more...that like you, this person or thing before you has had quite the journey and story to share that might just surprise you....that might even inspire you....and might connect you to a part of you that you are meant to "see" in a deeper way.


And in that, the "golden rule" comes forward. "Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you." But have you considered yourself enough...to really and truly know what you would like? In life, in actions, in love.... to bring love forward to another? Again, this scripture asks you to consider yourself and what YOU like...


And yet another  word, Sawubona.
This is a Zulu greeting that means “We see you”. And in the expanded version of how I apply it in my life...if I am saying this greeting, “Sawubona”, who is “we”? This again brings around your consideration into yourself….”who” is “I”? For myself, my “I” is a wholeness that includes the ever-presence of God...period. So with 7 billion people alone on this earth (and not including the other beings of animals, bugs, etc on this planet) that we are sharing breath with, we get to witness what would be a handful of those around us. We don’t get to see everyone who may pass by in the same space, so what does that mean for those that we do get to see? Perhaps there is a greater reason we can explore if we choose to connect to it.

In order for us to consider the vastness, the significance, the potential greatness of one another, we must first give that consideration of ourselves. So I ask you (and myself) today, In what ways have you been treating yourself and considering yourself as small? And how can you suspend those thoughts and considerations to allow yourself to be seen (and enjoyed) in a “bigger” way? Honestly, our dreams are but a glimpse of what is possible...but it is still possible. And if we could just expand our day to day view of life...how much more joy and wonder could we be experiencing?

No comments: