Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, September 2, 2016

Going beyond assumptions...one another loving

Good morning! Sterotypes and racism....same thing?

In university, I was given a "failing" grad for an assignment that was contested by my peers. Why the fail? Was it for poor quality work? Were the images I used processed poorly? What my typeset off or my idea out to lunch? No. It was because the image and the font was considered too "classy" for the music. It was an R&B single and the project was a CD cover.

Stereotyping...the grade was adjusted after the contest...my peers were right and they stood up for me. They believed something unjust was happening and they took action.

To stand in someones' way...to set up obstacles based on generalized opinions...to harm others or intend harm and maltreatment of others based on a unloving thoughtstream (LOL what would you call a MASS opinion established by someone that undermines and undervalues a large group of people?)...what is the benefiting fruit that one would achieve from engaging in that?

I am met with this on a daily basis...Good news is...I know what value and truth of experience I hold. I know I went to university and achieved "degree" status (as did most of my friends)...I know I am married with two healthy happy boys and not the high school drop out, knocked up single mother or immigrant nanny as I have been referred to on a few occasions ... I know I am a homeowner in the midst of renovations and getting my boys to mow the lawn and not the drug dealing renter you have assumed I am.....you see....in all these conversations that started with a heavy assumption and ended with the person feeling embarrassed, two things happened. I dispelled a myth about the "stereotype" and story they have created around it and I stood in the place of the stereotype and defended those caught within it, including myself.

There are complete narratives and life journeys that we know nothing of. The pain of leaving your children while you pursue a better life for your family ...ad succeed! The child who was forced to drop out of school and work so that they could provide money to meet the needs of others in their families. The pain and heartache...the lack of support felt by those surrounded by a culture of addiction...those who got pregnant during their relationships and the guys walks out of their responsibility.

These assumptions you have "labelled" me with ("you" in reference to the person I was talking to....unless you feel to take it personally) are some of the best of my friends, the parents of my sons' friends, my family, my neighbours...and their courage and strength inspires me. And their love and friendship builds me up. No, it's not my story...it's not my experience. But I have been blessed with the assumptions so that I may prove them false and unsustainable. We don't know the full story....but MAN, are they ever beautiful to hear. If we would just.....ASK first!!

No comments: