Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Allergies! Aren't they a pain? .....or are they?

"What alergies do you have again?" Yes, I do have a list of allergies and intolerances. It affects going out in public places, dinner dates, staying at the homes of family and friends, inviting people into our home, and going out for dinner. People feel as though they need to be walking on egg shells when someone has allergies, but if I live with it well, then it's not so bad.

I was asked a couple days ago if I would be going to a get together at a Thai restaurant. In my past experiences I know that with my peanut allergy I would be wise to not go back into a Thai restaurant (not fun to interrupt a meal with gasping for air and being rushed to the hospital.....ahhh the memories). I did suggest to my friend that we get together in another way, and in a setting that is encouraging for the both of us.

I am thankful for my allergies and intolerances and it has made me a well-informed and knowledgable person and aware of how many people are living ignorant to what they may be exposing themselves to and causing themselves pain and suffering with. My gluten intolerance (discovered at 25) has helped me to come away from a lot of processed and junk foods and eat more healthfully. I may have an allergy to peanuts (realized at 25), but I am able to eat almonds, cashews, hazelnuts and a few other tree nuts. I have been allergic to eggs since I was a baby, but didn't find out until I was 19. I have eaten eggs in almost every preparation and I don't feel I am missing out on anything, because I did have the experience of enjoying them. It has also helped to motivate me to find alternate protein sources and experiment with ways of modifying baking recipes. I inherited an intolerance to pork and glad for it (nuff said!). But the one allergy that is the most difficult to live with is my fragrance allergy. I am thinking that it may be more of a chemical sensitivity (i.e. phthalates), but it is quite dibilitating and painful, causing sharp pain throughout my body, and triggering my asthma. It has also caused issues in my relationships with my family and friends as it is literally a physical barrier that is difficult to get around. Over the last week, after having friends through our home, I was left in pain and struggling with my asthma as the residue of fragrance lingered long after their departure. It affected how I would take care of myself and my family and I have been really fatigued in all I am doing. After every fragrance encounter, it is the same thing, the same pattern of symptoms that I experience. I resigned from my last workplace for the reason of over exposure to fragrance and that was after helping to implement a change in arrangement of desk assignments to accomadate those with similar needs.

Many have asked if there is anything I can take to help with the symptoms and the answer is no. Not only because I choose to live as naturally as I can, but even from the advice of doctors based on my medical history, I am unable to take drugs without putting myself at risk for triggering another condition (again, the question of what is in the drugs in the first place and if it is REALLY necessary to be taking certain perscriptions or not). I know that through being mindful of what I expose myself to and being observant to how my body responds in its environment, I have improved my standard of living as well as my tolerance to my exposure to allergens. I don't walk around in constant pain, continually medicated, and swollen and bloated from not thinking of what I put into my body.

Starting next week, I will be starting on Dax Moy's Elimination Diet as it is the one year anniversary of when I first did the diet. It's an easy 30 day detox and the information you gain about what you can and probably shouldn't eat is really helpful, whether you are trying to lose weight, tired of being sick and bloated all the time, or looking to live a cleaner, healthier lifestyle.

Here's to living a conscious, healthy lifestyle catered to your body's specific needs.


No comments: