Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The journey of a beet...a lesson in fruitfulness and self-maintenance

Congratulations!  You have made it! You beautiful beet! And for your strength and perseverance, you will graduate to the level of borscht.  Thank you.

Why am I talking to a beet? What has this beet graduated from? ...Well, my intentions were good and the borscht I made in the Spring was even better and since we had a good harvest from our garden last year of candy cane and yellow heirloom beets, I had all these beet recipes lined up for my family to enjoy. However, the boys liked the borscht, but were not feeling the roasted beets (are you kidding me?? They are SOOOO good and the hubby wasn't liking any of it at all...REALLY???  And so they sat....and sat and sat.....and I am now harvesting THIS year's crop from our garden and there is no WAY these beets are going to be completely wasted....so a last save for a tri-colour beet borscht is under way.  Honestly, I have been dreading this moment of sticking my hand into these bags since there were soe of these beets that have been rotting...far enough.  It's been a year!  But I dove in.  Salvaged what I could and continued with what looked savable.

And here is were the lesson comes in....most of them had some level of a little rot or two on the surface, and I would cut it off...but then there was a little dot of black underneath.  As I cut these in half, I found that that thread of rizomes went straight for the core...almost every time. Not isolate to the one spot and spread from there...and keeping in mind that beets, and especially organic beets are pretty tough (as in tough meat)...but they found there way to the core and then rotted the beet from the inside out.  I knew this from a few that I tried to save a few weeks ago...and it made me think...

...YES!  You have persevered through some pretty tough situations...you are here at long last to be fruitful for great service. For the most part, you have endured while those around you rotted away, succumb to their wounds and not able to heal...but not you...you stayed strong. Even while supporting those that were withering away right in front of your very eyes...and in the end, you stand.

AND...As your triumphant success radiates and glows from your very being...remember...your fruitfulness could very well turn to rot and go wasted if it is not used to serve a good purpose beyond yourself.

It answers the question, 'Where do we go from here?'...Most plants, when they reach a prime point of growth focus on producing seeds.The beets in my garden right now have sent out bolts of flowers that have turned to seed. And hopefully, those seed will go on to grow into beautiful beets (beyond the life of the beet that created it) and produce its useful fruit as well as seed and so on...the continuation of life itself unfolds from our fruit...whether or not we let it serve from our joy into the next generation or if we rot and become the "soil" from which good will grow...

SO, when the peak of fruitfulness seems evident in our lives, lets put it to good use. From our good and accomplished space, no matter how small the accomplishment, we ARE able to serve to the benefit of others with what we have gained.  Not from a "I have just enough for me and I will sacrifice so that you may have..."...but more from a space of "I am ripe, abundant, and prime for sharing because that is what my fruit will produce...more of the same if I share it..." As well, as we grow into our fruitfulness, we should also be maintaining, healing, and mending the wounds along the way.  Don't let a spot of rot makes its way to your core and eat you up from the inside out. Manage the rot spots...don't let them just sit there and fester. They have a "fruitful" intention as well.

Ok, back to the borscht...it isn't going to cook itself.  Still have a few ingredients to add.

P.S. Pictures and recipe to come...


No comments: