Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, April 14, 2012

How I like to eat my almonds

 As I eat almonds, I am reminding myself that EACH almond is 20 calories. I packed the snack bags to about a handful each and that equals about 1000 calories. I would have to agree that they are calorie dense. So here are some tweaks for enjoying almonds...

Eat about 10 as a "part" of a quick snack (that's 200 calories. You can eat with some carrot sticks if you want the crunch and to feel fuller)
....tweak up...
Eat them raw, not roasted. (the oils go rancid and acidic, and roasting kills the enzymes too... they are naturally an alkaline snack)
....tweak up...
Soak your raw almonds first before eating them. (it's like beans, the seed coating contains "protectors" that you don't need to be eating and that inhibit proper digestion of the seed (and can cause gasiness)....soaking them allows the seed to release these "protectors" into the water...just like starting the sprouting process. Drain the water, rinse the almonds, and they will be more filling and easier for your body to digest)

No comments: