Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, August 1, 2009

A prayer for purity

Tonight, I was woken from my sleep by some very graphic and HORRIFYING images that have entered my head....another horror movie I "volunteered" to watch and the details of which will never be repeated in a way to promote reproduction. But it did bring up some interesting points.....I had forgotten about my prayer for pure thoughts as I head to bed. I have "struggled" with these nightmares all my life and am I ever THANKFUL that I am a disciple of Jesus, choosing to live my life following in his example of goodness. And when we are witnesses to things that are less than righteous and routed from things that are not good, we need to GUARD our hearts and pray for God's protection as well. It can be slight and subtle, but sometimes the "problem-solver" in our minds will still ponder on the events we have seen and heard looking for a solution. It is good to work through how a situation really affects you and then ponder consciously through your thoughts and actions towards the matter.

As I reflected on the life of Jesus throughout the day today, I thought about the moment at which he was baptized (2 Peter 1:17; Matt. 17:5; Mark 9:7; Luke 9:35). "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." How was Jesus' life up to that point? It would have had to be very good for God to make this declaration. He was reared up in the way that he should go....with purity, righteousness, and a good heart. I decided to look out for the purity and hearts of my boys as they grow so that they may grow into being men of God. But what of my own purity and my own heart? I have not been so thoughtful of this lately and it has not been the best. Tonight's awakening has left me feeling wounded and with my hubby away on a motorcycle road trip, and not there for me to be cuddled and comforted, I felt quite vulnerable. So I prayed...for pure thoughts and heart and that these images lose strength in my mind. And of course, with some encouragement from God's word, I feel so much better. I know I am comforted and protected and that we are being looked out for.

Thank you God! Amen.

No comments: