Pages

Featured Post

Success

My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and talents.  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour 2009



- March 28, 8:30 pm marks the start of an hour with the lights off, promoting our decision to take action on Global warming. What other ways can I take action now and beyond the hour marked out for tonight? How can I minimize my impact on the environment and make it safer for me to live in and those around me? What good habits can I live now that will leave a positive impact on my children and the generations to come?

I can check around my home to see if I have any extra lights (equipped with energy saving light bulbs) on that I am not in need of using. I can maximize the daylight that streams into our home and turn off all the lights as soon as the sun comes out. I can turn down the heat in my home (although it is already at 18 degrees Celsius) and put on a sweater and slippers. I just put a load of dishes through the dishwasher (energy star rated) and when it hits the dry cycle, I turn it off and leave it open to dry. I can also hand dry the dishes with my dish towel and put them away. I am also doing laundry and I just hung up a load to dry and loaded the washer (front load) again with the water temperature set to cold.

We can all make a difference in the little, positive things we do. Many little steps lead to one great journey. Keep on steppin'.



No comments: